Louise Baur is Professor and Head of Child and Adolescent Health at the University of Sydney and Head of The Children’s Hospital at Westmead Clinical School. She is a consultant paediatrician at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead where she is an active member, and former Head of Weight Management Services, a multidisciplinary clinical service for young people with obesity. Louise is also Co-Chair of the World Obesity Federation Health Services Committee.?
Louise is Director of the Centre of Research Excellence in the Early Prevention of Obesity in Childhood, and in 2019 was awarded one of four Payne-Scott Professorial Distinctions. She has made research contributions to the prevention of obesity; the impact of food marketing to children and young people; the antecedents of obesity and the metabolic syndrome in young people; the complications of obesity; the management of obesity and related disorders in a variety of clinical settings; and the measurement of body composition, dietary intake and physical activity in young people.?
In 2014, Louise became a Founding Fellow of the Australian Academy of Health & Medical Sciences, Australia’s newest learned Academy. In 2010, Louise was made a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) “for service to medicine, particularly in the field of paediatric obesity as a researcher and academic, and to the community through support for a range of children’s charities”.
Louise will contribute primarily to Pathways & Costs.
Discover more: Louise Baur
- Steinbeck KS, Lister NB, Gow ML, Baur LA. Treatment of adolescent obesity. Nature Rev Endocrinol 2018; 14:331-344.
- Mihrshahi S, Gow ML, Baur LA. Contemporary approaches to the prevention and management of paediatric obesity: an Australian focus. MJA 2018; 209:267-274. (This is open access)
- Jebeile H, Gow ML, Baur LA, Garnett SP, Paxton SP, Lister NB. Treatment of obesity, with a dietary component, and eating disorder risk in children and adolescents: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Obesity Reviews 2019. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/obr.12866 (open access)
- Ells L, Rees K, Brown T, Mead E, Al-kudairy L, Azevedo L, McGeechan G, Baur L, Loveman E, Clements H, Rayco-Solon P, Farpour-Lambert N, Demaio A. Interventions for treating children and adolescents with overweight and obesity: An overview of Cochrane reviews. Int J Obesity 2018; 2:1823-1833.
- Gow M, Garnett S, Baur LA, Johnson N, Cowell CT. Reversal of type 2 diabetes in youth who adhere to a very low energy diet: a pilot study. Diabetologia 2017; 60:406-415.