Rachel Skinner is Professor in Child and Adolescent Health at the University of Sydney, Adolescent Physician at The Children’s Hospital Westmead, and Senior Clinical Advisor, Youth Health and Wellbeing, at the NSW Ministry of Health.
Rachel has spent much of the last 20 years working as a clinician and researcher in adolescent sexual and reproductive health, spanning medical, public health, psychosocial and ethical aspects of sexual and reproductive health in young people. Findings from her research have been translated into policy that has had a global impact on the health of young women, including marginalised young people. One main area of research is adolescent risk-taking behaviour, pregnancy and parenting, and sexuality. The other main area of work concerns the effectiveness of HPV vaccines and school vaccination programs.
Rachel is the Deputy Director of the WH&Y Centre of Research Excellence in Adolescent Health and Leader of Pathways & Costs.
Discover more: Rachel Skinner
- Tabrizi, S. N., Brotherton, J. M. L., Kaldor, J. M., Skinner, S. R., Liu, B., Bateson, D., . . . Garland, S. M. (2014). Assessment of herd immunity and cross-protection after a human papillomavirus vaccination programme in australia: A repeat cross-sectional study. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 14(10), 958-966. doi:10.1016/S1473-3099(14)70841-2
- Robbins, S. C. C., Bernard, D., McCaffery, K., Brotherton, J. M. L., & Skinner, S. R. (2010). "I just signed": Factors influencing decision-making for school-based HPV vaccination of adolescent girls. Health Psychology, 29(6), 618-625. doi:10.1037/a0021449
- Davies, C., Skinner, S.R., Stoney, T., Marshall, H.S., Collins, J., Jones, J., Hutton, H., Parrella, A., Cooper, S., McGeechan, K. and Zimet, G., 2017. ‘Is it like one of those infectious kind of things?’ The importance of educating young people about HPV and HPV vaccination at school. Sex Education, 17(3), pp.256-275. doi.org/10.1080/14681811.2017.1300770
- Skinner, S. R., Szarewski, A., Romanowski, B., Garland, S. M., Lazcano-Ponce, E., Salmerón, J., . . . Dubin, G. (2014). Efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of the human papillomavirus 16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine in women older than 25 years: 4-year interim follow-up of the phase 3, double-blind, randomised controlled VIVIANE study. The Lancet, 384(9961), 2213-2227. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60920-X
- Lewis, L.N., Doherty, D.A., Hickey, M. and Skinner, S.R., 2010. Implanon as a contraceptive choice for teenage mothers: a comparison of contraceptive choices, acceptability and repeat pregnancy. Contraception, 81(5), pp.421-426. doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2009.12.006
- Skinner, S.R., Smith, J., Fenwick, J., Fyfe, S. and Hendriks, J., 2008. Perceptions and experiences of first sexual intercourse in Australian adolescent females. Journal of Adolescent Health, 43(6), pp.593-599. doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2008.04.017